Friday, February 8, 2013

Ribena Cordial Drink and Jam

I take a walk in my tiny garden where i grow ribena. I used to call this little red fruit ribena since i were a child. Today i learn that this fruit is hibiscus family. A type of flower but this 'ribena' called roselle which comes from hibiscus flower family. That roselle in my tiny little garden had been there since last year and i never thought of doing something about it other than makes my garden look coloured ^_^ with its red colour.
What i know about this fruit is its not common in market or any tamu. you just lucky if you can meet with this fruit at tamu.
    So i decide to do something with this fruit...well i think i'll call it ribena for here they used to call it with that name and if i said it is roselle..ok they start thinking which one is this.
i know it can give me good drink but i never try for turn it into a yummy jam. Lets see....

A fresh ribena/roselle 



 Firstly, i peel of the ribena calyx. All of them for more drink and more jam and more working hour on peeling. This cute tiny fruit will looks like this after calyxes removal. Isn't that looks fresh?


But, we need the calyxes and noot the seed to make the drink and the jam. So i slowly take the calyxes, some sugar and water and put them altogether in small steel big mug. I want it to cook slowly and let the calyxes become tender and soft so i cook it in my own way.Juat the way i want and available for me. I can use anything in my kitchen as long as they are right in my sight and suitable to my cooking occasion. Well while waiting for the calyxes get their new looks i play my guitar and sing. So i wont let myself down while waiting. Aha! a noisy kitchen.
Em..here take a look of the way i cook the calyxes..





Ok after the calyxes become soft and tender and the water coloured with red colour and the taste of the red water become tasty , i put away the  steel mug and sifted the calyxes so that i get the red tasty water and the soft and tender calyxes in seperated. now i have ribena cordial drink. Lets the fridge take over my job to keep it cool. The calyxes? i put them in my blender until i get a very soft and creamy blend.
 Again i cook the blend the same way i cook the calyxes earlier. I pour more sugar and just avoid the water. This time i cant play my guitar or sing my song for i need to stir the blend until its become a jam.While im stirring my feet flap flap flap and oh no it cant be help im singing and stirring..
      Yeah! There we go! a ribena jam!!! emm did they looks like jam???


 Thats it! a ribena cordial drink and jam.Want to try some? ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment